Checked out the War of the Roses floral display at Gardens by the Bayâ€™s Flower Dome 2 weeks ago. If you love roses, you really have to come see the display. I love going to the Flower Dome. Itâ€™s like a cheating method for me to feel like Iâ€™m deep in the heart of nature, without having to sweat it out thanks to the air-conditioning! Kinda like why we love visiting parks and gardens when we are in temperate countries.
War of the Roses is on from 26 February to 6 April 2014!
Some interesting facts on roses I never knew!
- There are more than 15,000 different rose species grown worldwide
- 5,000 roses will be used for the entire War of the Roses floral display, boasting 60 different varieties. Click here to see the names of the roses.
- Bandung is a popular drink of milk flavoured with rose cordial syrup. Available at many hawker centres and food courts in Singapore.
- In Chinese traditional medicine, some rose species can treat stomach problems
- Have a rose named after you, if you can afford $15,000.
- War of the Roses was a series of dynastic wars fought from 1455 to 1485 between the Royal House of Lancaster and the Royal House of York, for the throne of England
Click below to see more pictures.
The horses look like theyâ€™re kissing. Good idea to bring your love interest here. No need to spend money to buy a bouquet of roses. But DO NOT at all costs pluck any of the roses here!
Withered daisies. They kind of remind me of jellyfish or alien type things floating around with the petals downwards.
Picture of a hibiscus. Itâ€™s not a rose but I thought this was the prettiest flower of the day. Love how the stigma (the thing sticking out) looks like it wants to kiss someoneâ€¦
Love these flowers as well but I canâ€™t recall the name
Love this cactus plant too and how they all bunch up together. Thereâ€™s a permanent cactus display on the upper level of the flower dome. Youâ€™ll be surprised how fascinating cacti look too! Some look quite obscene. Wonâ€™t post any pics here, youâ€™ll have to go check them out yourselves.
Check out my review on the well-received Tulip Mania last year!
Gardens by the Bay Flower Dome
18 Marina Gardens Drive Singapore 018953 â€Ž
Buy tickets to the cooled conservatories (Flower Dome and Cloud Forest) online but outdoor gardens are FREE admission
Two ways to get to Gardens by the Bay. Either take the train to Bayfront Station and use the underpass that will lead you to the Gardens. The walk is about 10 minutes or so and leads you to the middle part of the Gardens. OR take the train to Marina Bay Station, take Exit B and take bus 400. This will lead you to the area nearer the visitor centre and coach bay.